HISTORIC PAUL STOCK HOUSE FOR SALE
- 7,012 Sq. Ft. Historic Home
- 4 Bedrooms
- 7 Baths
- 6 fireplaces
- Detached 2 Car Garage
- 2 Guest Homes
- 3.74 acres in Cody
The Paul Stock House was built in 1946 on a hilltop overlooking the banks of the Shoshone River with commanding views of Carter, Rattlesnake, Cedar and Heart Mountains. The main house is an irregular H-shape. The kitchen wing forms the right leg on the north side and the private bedroom/ bathroom wing forms the south leg of the H. In between is a large living room and solarium. The 7000 square foot house was originally designed by noted Wyoming architect, Leon Goodrich and it is a Spanish Eclectic style ranch house. The house is constructed of hollow clay tiles, sided with a swirling pattern stucco with a flat laid mission tile roof.
The first floor features a large kitchen with a marble topped island and a large pantry. The breakfast nook is wrapped on two sides with large picture windows framing the mountain views. Most notable are the Thomas Molesworth cabinets. Off the kitchen is a half bath. The formal dining room with French doors faces west taking in the mountain views. A large living room and large curved solarium separates the north and south wings of the house. The living room fireplace is constructed with polished well cores from Paul Stock’s oil fields and the hearth is polished petrified wood. The mantel is a large split log. The solarium fireplace is built with large cut stones with smaller polished hearth stones. Both rooms feature log vigas, squared in the living and in a radiating pattern in the solarium. Large windows wrap the west wall of the solarium capturing the dramatic mountain views. The private bedroom wing features two bedrooms, each with a pueblo style corner fireplace and an adjoining dressing room with a sink and toilet. A full bath is in between the two dressing rooms. In this area is also a small laundry room. A tiled shed roof covers a stone patio which admits formal access to the living room and both the north and south wings.
The lower level has a large room that was designed for informal entertaining. The masterpiece of this room is the built in bar and bar stools designed and built by Thomas Molesworth. His work is also noted in the doors and knotty pine tongue and groove walls of this room and the adjoining office. A tiled fountain, at one time was a fish pond during the Paul Stock era, is located in the corner of this massive room. Artist Edward Grigwire painted the mural above the fountain. As in the area above this room, there is a west facing solarium. There are back to back fireplaces. In the main room, the fireplace is built with vertical well cores and the solarium fireplace is stone. The solarium has built in benches below the curved windows and there is a wet bar. The floors in the solarium are flagstone. Outside this room through sliding glass doors is a large stone barbeque area. A fascinating fact about this area is the “secret room” accessed through a hidden door in the knotty pine paneling. South of this room, below the bedroom wing, is an office with an exterior door and private bathroom. The remainder of this south wing consists of a large storage and laundry area. Located in the north lower wing are two bedrooms, half bath, full bath and a cooler room.
Two identical guest houses on the property consist of two bedrooms, two baths, a living area and kitchenette. Both imitate the Spanish Eclectic style of the main house with stucco siding, flat roof and small patio. There is a two car detached garage with a lower level that was used as servant’s quarters at one time.
The exterior landscaping takes in the overall design of the property which is surrounded by a Thermopolis-quarried sandstone wall. On the northeast side of the wall is an incinerator. Mature pine trees surround the home. Stairways on either side of the home lead to the lower lever and a flagstone patio with the large barbeque pit with bench seating all constructed of the same sandstone. In the evenings, spectacular sunsets can be seen from this area. All of this sits on 3.74 acres in the city of Cody at the end of a private cul-de-sac.
Paul Stock, born in 1894, was a pioneer oilman, philanthropist and three time Cody, Wyoming mayor. The Buffalo Bill Historical Center (now Buffalo Bill Center of the West), received Paul Stock’s house in 1985 and used it for cultural and educational purposes. The current owner purchased the home in 2008. On January 27, 2000, the Paul Stock House was added to the National Register of Historic Places. This does not put any restrictions on the buildings unless Federal money is being used, but it can provide the owner with eligibility for certain financial incentives.
This property is rich in architectural and cultural history. Throughout the home, one can see the work of Thomas Molesworth, not only in the kitchen cabinets, bar and bar stools, but all the doors and woodwork boast his craftsmanship. This is a rare offering for the discerning buyer.
FOR A PRIVATE SHOWING TO QUALIFED BUYERS CONTACT:
RITA LOVELL, BROKER
CANYON REAL ESTATE, LLC
1327 RUMSEY AVENUE
CODY, WY 82414
RECAPTURE A PIECE OF CODY WYOMING HISTORY IN THIS EXQUISITE PROPERTY.